Saturday, December 2, 2017

Introduction

This is my build of a Container Home with storage. The need was for a secure, bug and critter free environment that is better insulated than a camper since there are 4 seasons here. There was also a need for storage space for materials and equipment while under construction and later just to store tools, materials and a bit of work space. So I decided to split it essentially into 2 halves. I didn't include a bathroom since the space is limited and it's not a full time location. One could easily add a bathroom area if reconfigured slightly. In my case it would be nice but not required. There is a very nice Privy with a natural composting bucket surround by plenty of trees for the boys :)

The links at the right to view the different stages ---->


My solution was to modify a 40' High Cube container that I found on Craigslist being sold by a family run business and had it delivered. So we begin.


I decided on a High Cube which is 9' 6" tall as opposed to the normal 8'. In a small space ceiling height is an important issue. 
I began by setting the base piers with concrete blocks with a 4" pad on top. I used a laser level to set the height and dug each hole down and leveled so the finish height gives the correct height of container. I wanted a few inches underneath to make connections and storage. If you're doing your own piers, they should be down to the frostline for your area. That will prevent your structure from lifting and settling especially causing problems if you have pipes and connections underneath. 

 The container empty weighs about 9,000 lbs. I bought a 3 ton floor jack which I needed anyway and used that to temporarily lift the container once positioned. Once it was up in the air I could position and dig for the piers.  

On the down hill side I ran out of jack height and had to improvise. Don't do this at home.


Use links on the right to see the next stages --->








.

No comments:

Post a Comment